6. mar. 2009

Discovering the awesome

I'm back. Been about a week since my last post (Not gonna check, but time flies by and I'm eager to write. Bear with me), and boy am I excited. Just came home from the movies a couple of minutes ago and am currently thrilled by the awesome that is "Mænd Der Hader Kvinder" ("The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" in english). I've got a lot of stuff that I wanna get out there, so I might as well get on with it eh. Oh and btw, this post I'm gonna dedicate ENTIRELY to the movies/books section. Actually, that's two sections. I guess you can consider it a hybrid post.

Before we get started, I promised last time that I would share with you exactly what I'm listening to at this very moment. Having seen this film of awesome, I thought should probably find music suiting the theme of it. I spend close to 10 minutes figuring this out (In cat years, long time), and I came up with this piece of win: In Flames - Your Bedtime Story Is Scaring Everyone. Please feel free to put it on repeat or whatever. It's probably gonna take a while. Having linked this awesome piece of art, I better give it a decription too. The movie is very dark. Very dark. Nuff' info right there. Listen to the song while imagining it, and you will know the message.
So that's the intro section to today's post. Now here's some actual content.

So as I mentioned, I just came home from the movies. The movie is based on a novel written by the one and only Stieg Larsson. There's 3 books in the series, and we know there's a 4th novel buried on Stieg's computer, that's never gonna be released. Sad fact indeed, but as far as I know, there's some personal drama involved that's probably never gonna be sorted. So that's it I guess. Anyway 3 books have been released in the Millenium series and I've obviously read all of em. It's funny actually. The first book came out in 06 as far as I know, and I read it shortly afterwards (My mother introduced me to it, and I ate it raw). I was absolutely amazed. By far the best book I've ever read (I'm serious. It is that good). So I found out there was a 2nd book too, which I read - and when the final book came out I read it 2 days after release or so. I'm like an addict when I find something I really, really dig. It's an obsession. I can spend 14 hours a day reading a book if I'm really into it. The only bad thing about this, would be that I often read too fast for my brain to actually follow, meaning I sometimes miss important information. I just wanna find out who that bad guy is, and honestly, who doesn't?

Oh yea, back to the actual thing I'm talking about. The book is about an internationally accepted hacker only known as Wasp online (Lisbeth Salander). She gets to know a journalist called Michael Blomkvist. Together they're to solve an old family myth from a big and respected swedish company. So they start digging, and by god does the devil come out of his hiding spot. Everything that's been hiding under the surface for the past 50 years suddenly see the light of day. And promise me when I say, it is not kid's games they're playing. Before all this happened, Michael was working on a big case about a well known business man, who had been playing dirty games to make his current fortune. Michael knows all the stuff that's going on, but hasn't got the evidence to actually get the bloody idiot in jail. After the whole crime thing is solved, Lisbeth uses her brilliant hacker mind to get Michael the information he needs, which leads to the biggest case in swedish history (This is fiction, do not take any information in this blog seriously. You will be called a noob by your mom.) So the bad guy get's locked up, and Lisbeth also manages to transfer all of his money to her account. Heh. I like that.
So anyway that's the general plot of the story real short (SPOILER ALERT. Hm' kinda too late now. Sorry dude.) and they've now then made it into a movie.
Obviously, as you all know, trying to make a film over a really good book is like shooting yourself in the foot. Most of the time at least. You're gonna run in to a lot of problems, that especially the real hardcore fans of the book are gonna be pissed about (Generally that'd be me, but I'm actually quite happy with this one. Bah, fail.) The books usually cover anywhere from 300-1000 pages or whatever. Trying to squeeze this into 2,5 hours as it was in this case, is simply impossible. That's the limit that films have, and everybody knows this (IT'S NOT SODDING ROCKET SCIENCE PEOPLE.) But in this case, they really did an awesome job in trying.
There were a lot of very dark and violent, bizzare and completely terrible scenes in the book. I have to say, the director really caught these very well and managed to create just the right atmosphere. All the darkness you had from the book got in the film as well, which was of crucial importance for me to like it. Good job.

Back on track with the missing information. They focused a lot on the crime aspect of the story, which was cool. But still, I missed the Erika/Michael relationship described more, I missed general Millenium stuff, I missed Dragan Armanskij (Lol, I think I actually spelled it right) and I would've liked a bit more info on Lisbeth's life as a hacker. But as I said, you can't always get what you want (Quote of awesome from House MD, watch it damnit).
So will I watch it again when it's out on DVD? Probably. I'm not sure it's a movie I'd enjoy watching over and over and over like Donnie Darko or Fight Club, but it's definitely something that I need to own. Not just as a silly .avi file taking up space on my harddrive. I need it on my shelter, for bragging purposes.
As we drove home, my sister mentioned how she didn't even once stopped and thought "Hey this is actually a really good movie.", and how it was all too sick and stupid. Obviously, she's a teenager and is all very emo, but really. I totally disagree and honestly, it has got to be one (if not the) best movie I've seen in the past year or so (New movie that is, obviously I've watched Fight Club a dozen times over past year.)
So that's my final words on that topic for this time I think.
So should you either go read the books or watch the movie if you haven't already? If you still need me to answer that question to you at this point of the post, I'm gonna have to go /facepalm. Seriously. Get over it.

So that's another major post of fail. 30 minutes of typing whatever comes into your mind. God, I love this thing. Oh and please feel free to give me feedback on the blog or general stuff about my opinions. Already had a few people pointing out stuff to me. And that's all that matters right? The fans. Cough.. I only ought to care about myself. I'm getting all sentimental. This has gone too far. I better end it right here.
So stay tuned for next time. I have absolutely no idea what I'm gonna write about, but hopefully you'll enjoy reading whatever I fancy whining about at that specific time and date.

Stay tuned.

1 kommentar: